Netflix vs. Silverlight: Error N8156-6013

Having installed all updates provided to me by Microsoft, at some point I installed the update to Silverlight. Apparently, this creates some sort of issue with the Netflix player and I received an error code (Netflix Error Code n8156-6013) informing me that the date (which was correct!) might not be. Netflix will tell you it's an error on Microsoft and Microsoft will say it's a Netflix problem.

The fix after much research is to delete a Playready config file mspr.hds (leftover from the previous Silverlight version) and allow the Netflix player to re-create the file using the new Silverlight installation.

The file to delete or rename (probably safer; in case something goes wrong just rename it back correctly)

On Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds
or
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds

On Windows 7:
C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds
or
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady (Thanks Jarin)

On MAC:
HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > PlayReady > mspr.hds

Some fixes out there will tell you that this will not work and the only way to fix the Netflix error is to rollback Silverlight to the older version. WRONG! The important thing to remember is that you have to reload the Netflix player through your browser via the Netflix website. Enjoy!


13 comments:

  1. Thank you! This was driving me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All users is not listed in my explorer under c:/users

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you can just select your user name folder instead. If you still can't find it try running a search for the Application Data folder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try searching for the appliation data folder with no luck. I am not "newbie" to working my way around windows. the only folder that showed up with the appdata folder was c:\users\jarin\appdata\local\microsoft\windowslivemail i guess i am missing something but im 99% im doing everything correct

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were doing it correctly by my information was inaccurate. I believe depending on the way Windows 7 is configured the PlayReady folder can also be located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady.It's confusing because my PC at home is at the first location, but my PC at work is at this new location. Apologies for the mis-information. FYI ProgramData is a hidden folder so you will have to navigate to it directly from the address bar. Hope this works out for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chad, I deleted the mspr.hds file after i entered the file location into the address bar directly. I am sad to report that this has not worked for me... I am getting the error n8212 which basically is the same thing as the error code everyone else is reporting! I have no clue what else to try if you have any other ideas please let me know! I appreciate the help you have provided me so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that I understand, now the file is gone, you have Silverlight 4 installed, and you have tried to watch a video through the Netflix website and it is still not working. Have you been signed in this whole time to Netflix (i.e. "Remember me on this computer")? If so, try signing out and then log back in to try again. Otherwise, I would uninstall Silverlight altogether and then return to try to watch a Netflix movie and let it redirect you to reinstalling Silverlight. Try this and let me know if it does not work. I will keep digging for an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried everything you suggested several times thinking that if i keep doing it that magically it will work! I guess luck isnt on my side because its still not working i dont know what the hell to do! I appreciate all the help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you now. Did you make sure you cleared your browser's cache before you went back to try and reload the Netflix player?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just how you clear browsing data, etc. It is usually somewhere in the options panel of your browser. Also might want to run disk cleanup if you run a Windows OS and make sure that Temporary Internet files is checked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uninstalled silverlight
    Installed silverlight 4
    Removed the file (mspr.hds) as directed

    it works!

    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANKS SO MUCH BEEN LOOKING HOW TO FIX THIS FOR SO LONG :)

    ReplyDelete