Add Windows to Linux GRUB Bootloader Options List



So I recently installed Windows to an extra hard drive on my PC. My system which runs Ubuntu primarily and boots up through GRUB couldn't seem to find the new OS after I installed it. So I searched and read all of these solutions involving manually re-configuring GRUB system files, uninstalling and re-installing Windows, etc. All of these are terrible solutions. The best solution is so, so easy. All you have to do is run this update command for GRUB from a terminal window within your Linux distro:

...:-$ sudo update-grub

It searches your hard drives for new kernels and OSs. Problem Solved. I also just wanted to try the new Windows Preview and add it in the GRUB menu along with my XP and 7 partitions purely for convenience when I felt like checking it out. To boot up Windows Preview, I have been having to disconnect my primary SATA drive, switch cables, boot up, save BIOS changes, reboot...UGGHH!

I really hope that you found this post before wasting as much time as I have looking for a solution.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I has Windows 8, but Grub shows Windows 8 Recovery not Windows 8; and then entering recovery gets me into recovery mode of Windows 8! Could you please suggest me how I can solve this shit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, that just solved my problem in < 5 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I had a feeling that was the only thing to do to add Windows 8 RP to Grub boot loader. I installed Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS after Windows 8 RP, but the Grub wasnt installed, so Ubuntu Linux was not accessible, then I used a Boot Recovery tool from Ubuntu Linux which fixed the issue right away, but now Windows 8 RP was not accessible from Grub, so I used your technique, and did worked, now I will remove old unused Ubuntu Linux Kernel Headers and after that will replace Grub with Burg, so the boot loader looks better :)

    Thanks,

    PS: I like your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my case I added GNU Grub after I loaded a dual win7/win8 boot. My Win8 line just comes back to the GRUB menu. E shows to go to the correct location however it wont boot. Win7 boots fine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so simple! In my case, I prepared a stand-alone Win-8 HDD, then reconnected Multi-boot HDD with Ubuntu and Win-XP, ran the update-grub command, and now have 3 OS's working! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete